Ben Stiller has a new film out called "Tropical Thunder".
I usually like Ben Stiller films, but am joining my sister-in-law Amy and others in boycotting this film because of the insulting "humor" in this movie. There is a phrase in the movie, "don't pull a full retard," that will likely make the rounds this fall among kids of all ages. The only way to make the world a more inclusive place for people like my nephew Joe, is to stop calling them names and ridiculing their challenges.
If you would like to read the editorial written by Special Olympics President Timothy Shriver that was printed in The Washington Post, click HERE.
If you would like to join me and sign a pledge to help end the use of the "r-word", click HERE. The pledge is sponsored by Special Olympics.
2 comments:
Thanks, Jen! I am hopeful that everyone posting will make a difference. I am so angry about this film and I am trying hard not to worry about kids imitating the "humor" on the playground at Joe & Emma's school. So, just add that to my list of worries for September....
Good post--I think a lot of people don't even realize what they are saying.
Post a Comment