Today was a beautiful sunny and cool day, so Evan, Liam and I went to the zoo. We met Beth, Paul and Jack there and spent most of our time on the playground.
On the ride home, Evan and I were talking about a cd that was playing in the car called "Alphabet Parade." We recently discovered this cd at our library and we looooooove it. We were talking about maybe needing to buy a copy of "Alphabet Parade" for ourselves, so that we could return the library's copy and let other people have a chance to enjoy it.
Suddenly, I hear this question from the backseat, "Can we get a dog?" How we went from buying a cd to a dog is a little mysterious to me. When I explain reasons why we can't get a dog, Evan reasons with me that Aunt Beth has a dog and two kids. (so why can't you handle this, too, mom?). Well, I explain, Aunt Beth had the dog before she had children. That seemed to be enough of an explanation. So on to the next question, "Can we get a cat?" Answering this question is much easier. "NO." Evan doesn't understand why not. "Because cats aren't as friendly as dogs." Evan reasons with me that there are some nice cats. Yes, I agree with him. But dogs are nicer. That was the end of the conversation. Phew! I know we will be re-visiting this topic again and again, and each time his reasoning skills will get better and better. For now, hopefully his imaginary friend the fire dog will keep him good company.
No comments:
Post a Comment